Skip to main content

Why I Blog

"Better to Write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self." So said Cyril Connolly. That phrase aptly describes the irony of my whole writing career up to the present. I spent the first six years of my career as a newspaper journalist writing or more accurately reporting on anything and everything that hardly reflected my 'self' I was merely a hack that communicated what the government/judiciary/or so-called 'important people' (Those privileged enough to be given a say in the media) wished to say to the public. It was they who had the voice, not me. I merely made their fluff look intelligent, newsworthy, and easy to comprehend for the benefit of the masses.

The writer in me lay dormant and silent. The hack/reporter had taken over. I spent a huge part of my thinking time compressing facts into neat paragraphs. Not more than four lines long. The challenge was to tell the whole story in ten paragraphs or more. The moment I arrived at an assignment I would already begin to mentally compose the article. By the time the press conference had ended the whole story would already be neatly written in my head. The final part was to get it down on my computer back at the office and send it off down the production line: Edit-Sub-edit-Layout-Print. Weary from yet another long day, I would leave the office. A good meal and some sleep was on the agenda but hardly anytime to think real vintage writer thoughts. So my 'writer being' slunk deeper and deeper within. Years went by and I was too busy earning a living to ponder on why I had originally set out on this path.

Sometimes though the writer within would emerge, stirred by a thought-provoking opinion or two. Without me even trying the opening lines of a paragraph would form in my mind either in the midst of an assignment, trawling the streets of KL or while having a conversation with friends. I would remind myself to jot down my thoughts on paper when I had a spare moment. As always I would promptly forget. Many ideas or what I thought would make splendid opening lines died a natural death that way.

After six years as a hack, I decided that a more mundane office job with respectable hours that involved staring at the computer a lot but also involved a fair degree of writing would be more in keeping. I got the respectable office job with the tidy pay-check but less of a chance to be the kind of writer I wanted to be. And then something happened. My 'writer being' was no longer content to stay silent. Thoughts and opinions came to me in a frenzy, sometimes several in a day. Even in sleep it would no longer stay silent. I had no choice but to resort to jotting down words, thoughts and phrases on scraps of paper. Soon the scraps became a bit of a hill. Something had to be done. Realistically I am nowhere near the stage where I would write a book anytime soon. The next best thing I decided was a blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Seksualiti" Will Survive

The other day my mum who was reading news alerts on her mobile asked me, "Hei have you heard about this festival - ' Seksualiti Merdeka '......?" And I was like: "Seksualiti what....??" Then I promptly googled it and oh then I knew! My first reaction? I was mighty impressed that we actually have such a festival here and wondered how come I never knew about it before this. I'm sure a lot of you out there are hearing about Seksualiti Merdeka for the first time too. But imagine this guys, if the powers that be didn't go all frothy at the mouth and decide to ban it, would the majority of us even know about this annual sexuality rights festival that has been around since 2008? Now not only city folks know all about Seksualiti Merdeka, even those in Baling......where is that again? Are up in arms about this event which they fear will encourage more gayness in society......well people will always delude themselves silly if they want to. So what

Travel Tales: The grandeur of Russia

Visit iconic monuments and see treasures from the past in one of Europe’s oldest cities Night view of the famed St Basil's Cathedral. FOR all its great political and social upheavals which have given rise to many a good movie script, the largest country on earth has never quite popped up on glossy tourist brochures boasting a “bucket list” of must-see architectural wonders like the Eiffel Tower or the iconic Taj Mahal. Neither does it beckon with the promise of breathtaking natural scenery and beautiful landscapes. Before the invitation for this media familiarisation trip came along, my impression of Russia and Moscow in particular was of a city still dominated by grey Soviet-era apartment blocks and sombre locals. However, when I received the itinerary for the trip to Moscow and St Petersburg organised by Trafalgar, another version of Russia began to emerge, that of a country steeped in culture and art, with many well-preserved heritage buildings. B

Heritage trail: The beauty of St Petersburg

The Winter Palace. THE  city of St. Petersburg was founded by Peter the Great, who aspired to create a city that would rival the great cultural capitals of Europe. Built on the banks of the Neva river, St. Petersburg stretches across 42 islands with natural waterways and canals, giving it the title of the ‘Venice of the North’. It was the imperial capital of Russia for two centuries until the Communist revolution of 1917. To this day, it retains its status as the country’s cultural capital with its heritage buildings, grand palaces, cathedrals and museums. Exploring St. Petersburg Considering that I only had three days to explore the city after arriving by bullet train from Moscow, I was glad to find that the Park Inn Nevsky, my home for the next few nights, was located on Nevsky Prospekt, St. Petersburg’s main street. What you will find along this street are plenty of places to shop and eat, like the Eliseyev Emporium Coffee shop, the Gostiny Dvor shopping centre, loc